John Deere XUV865M HVAC
Double tap to zoom
Efficient heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system
Automotive-style controls on the center of the dash - easy and convenient to reach for the operator or passengers
- Four dash vents
- Adjustable louvers and face plates
- Windshield vents mounted on the top of the dash
- Fast defrost
- Efficient air flow
- Air filter on the passenger side of the cab at foot level
- Three fan speeds
- 0: off
- 1: low
- 2: medium
- 3: high
- Temperature adjustment knob
- Counterclockwise for cooler temperature
- Clockwise for warmer temperature
- Four air flow modes
- Dash vents
- Dash and floor vents
- Defroster vents and floor vents
- Defroster vents
- HVAC compressor on/off button
- Pushing the button once turns the air conditioning on - indicator light illuminates blue
- Push the button again to turn off the air conditioning
- Air flow constant with compressor on or off
- Turn compressor off for full engine power
- Gas machines have an idle bump to raise rpms to assist driving more power for the HVAC system
- 1075 rpm in any gear at idle with air conditioning on
- 1400 rpm when in neutral and the park brake is engaged
- HVAC - if equipped
M trim details
The M trim adds electrical power-assist steering (EPAS) and brings in the main wiring harness for easier attachment hook-up. Cabs are available in this trim level. Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) is also an option within the M-trim level.
Equipped with power steering
This Gator™ XUV Crossover Utility Vehicle is equipped with power steering and a dual A-arm front suspension. These automotive-type systems exhibit excellent handling characteristics, as well as responsive steering and low steering effort:
- Steel ball-bearings secure the steering shaft and deliver smooth, responsive operation
- Completely sealed rack and pinion for long life
- Low steering ratio (lock-to-lock) provides more responsive steering and less operator input
- Shaft U-joints are phased for a smooth, uninterrupted motion of the steering wheel
- Tilt steering wheel with XXXX in of travel
Electric power-assist steering (EPAS) system has advanced features:
- Anti-kickback feature reduces the amount of steering unwinding when traversing difficult terrain.
- The system is speed-sensing and adjusts steering effort as the speed of the vehicle changes.
- As speed increases, there is less steering assist for improved road feel.
- As speed decreases, steering assist increases to give lower steering efforts for improved maneuverability.
- A warning/functional light on the instrument panel provides self-diagnostics and a warning light in the situation of no assist.
- Torque sensor measures steering wheel input so the on-board computer can provide the appropriate output for various driving situations.
With the EPAS system, the operator maintains a direct mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the front wheels. The power steering system interfaces mechanically with the steering system by being inserted between the steering wheel and the rack-and-pinion assembly.
A differential torque sensor is integrated into the power steering assembly. The circuit board assembly is also integral with the power steering assembly.
Power steering does not reduce turning radius but significantly reduces steering effort by approximately 85 percent compared to models without power steering.
EPAS INTERFACE DIAGRAM
The numbered descriptions refer to the EPAS interface diagram shown above:
- Torque sensor
- Electronic control unit (ECU)
- Fail-safe relay
- Current/thermal control circuit
- Reduction gears
- DC motor
- Rack and pinion
- Function/warning light
- Key power and ground
- Vehicle speed sensor
- Instrument cluster
- Relay module
Superior terrain capability
The Gator™ XUV Crossover Series Utility Vehicle has a precision-engineered drivetrain system that fully utilizes engine power, optimizing acceleration, hauling, towing, and hill-climbing capabilities. Power is transmitted from the engine through a continuously-variable clutch system to the transaxle.
Key elements of the drive system include:
The variable-speed drive consists of two clutches and a drive belt:
- Drive clutch is attached to the engine.
- Driven clutch is attached to the transaxle.
- The engine braking system utilizes a tight belt for operation, requiring an idler sleeve on the primary clutch for neutral. The secondary clutch is a build-on-shaft design that utilizes a cam to tune the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle. The clutch will stay engaged, providing deceleration until approximately 5 km/h (3 mph).
- The continuously variable transmission (CVT) air intake draws in 50 percent more air versus previous designs to reduce heat and the amount of water ingestion into the CVT system. The system will reduce belt slippage and improve durability.
- A low- and high-speed forward gear offering:
- Low range is 0 km/h to 47 km/h (0 mph to 29 mph), XUV835
- Low range is 0 km/h to 24 km/h (0 mph to 15 mph), XUV865
- High range is 0 km/h to 72 km/h (0 mph to 45 mph), XUV835
- High range is 0 km/h to 51 km/h (0 mph to 32 mph), XUV865
- Ability to creep along slowly to maneuver in tight spaces
- Standard full-clutch enclosure with high speed fan provides longer belt and clutch life
- High-ratio clutches with three cam weights for maximum belt-clamp load in high torque conditions
NOTE: Delivery and torque to the ground depends on tire size, which is a function of nominal size and pressure.
How the variable-speed drive works:
- As engine speed increases, the spring-loaded drive clutch is closed by weights being forced out by centrifugal force.
- As the drive clutch closes, the belt rides up to the largest diameter of the drive clutch and forces open the driven clutch.
- With the belt running in the smallest diameter of the driven clutch, the speed being transferred to the transaxle is increased.
- The driven clutch is designed to sense varying loads (inclines, mud, etc.) and constantly adjusts drive speed upward or downward so that engine rpm remains optimal.
TRANSAXLE, MECHANICAL FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE (MFWD), AND CONSTANT VELOCITY (CV) SHAFTS
Operator interface features:
- On-demand true four-wheel drive (4WD) system with an auto-locking front differential and dash-mounted electronic rocker switch is best in class. When the rocker switch is in the on 4WD position, the front differential will automatically lock for extra traction when needed, but when the rocker switch is in the off two-wheel drive (2WD) position, the vehicle will remain in 2WD.
- Provides exceptional traction in challenging conditions
- Maintains turf-friendly operation in 2WD mode
- Illuminated for visibility in low-light condition
- Two-speed, fully-enclosed oil bath transaxle allows for superior pulling ability
- Cast-aluminum design is the most robust in the industry
- Helical forward and reverse gears are used for quiet operation
- Rear traction assist (differential lock) is built in and can be engaged on demand
- Allows locking the rear drive wheels together
- Provides increased traction in tough spots
NOTE: Differential design reduces scuffing of the turf during turns because it allows the inside wheels to turn slower than the outside wheels.
- Neutral start safety interlock for engine ignition system
- Large, sealed bearings are located inside the housing for better protection and durability
- Contains gear case for transferring power to the MFWD
- Splined shaft interfaces for maximum torque transfer and durability
- All drive gears machined from highest grade gear steel
- Protected by a skid plate
- Electronic design is auto-locking for ease of use
- Performs like a locking differential when engaged, but like an open differential when cornering
- Offers positive engagement of both front wheels in forward and reverse as a differential package
- Automatic engagement on the fly—no shift linkages required
- Protected by a skid plate and frame
Drive shaft features:
- Rear CV shaft diameter measures 27 mm (1.1 in.) and is designed for peak engine and braking torque
- Front CV shaft diameter measures 23 mm (0.91 in.) and is designed for peak engine torque
- Propshaft is designed for peak engine torque
- All CV shaft and propshaft joints are maintenance free and protected by exclusive thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) boots for durability
Powerful diesel engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response
The machine is powered by an 854-cc (52.1-cu in.), 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, four-cycle diesel engine. It produces 48 Nm of torque (35.5-lb-ft) of torque at 2600 rpm.
The advanced engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response during operation.
The engine offers the following performance and reliability features:
- Indirect-injection diesel with glow plugs ensures fast starts in cold temperatures
- 17.1 kW (22.9 hp*) at 3600 rpm
- Overhead valve design for greater efficiency and fuel economy
- Spin-on oil filter for easy servicing
- Quiet operation through the entire rpm range
- Molybdenum-coated pistons
- High-stiffness cylinder block and gearcase
- High-flow water pump and optimized water jackets maintain a steady operating temperature and eliminate hot spots
- Full-pressure lubrication system
- In-line mechanical fuel pump
- Five-point, rubber isolated for quiet operation and minimal vibration
- Dry replaceable dual-element air cleaner with remote intake and a restriction indicator
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits the operator to check the coolant level without removing the radiator cap
- Open front grille allows proper air flow and ventilation to the radiator.
* The engine horsepower information is provided by the engine manufacturer to be used for comparison purposes only. The actual operating horsepower will be less.
|Make/Model||John Deere XUV865M HVAC Crossover Utility Vehicle|
|Power||22.8 hp (17.0* kW)|
|Transmission||Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with clutch enclosure|
|Final drive||Two speed, oil bath|
|Four wheel drive||On-demand true four-wheel drive system|
|Traction assist||Positive locking, mechanically actuated (hand-operated)|
|Maximum traveling speed||0-32 mph hi forward, 0-15 mph lo forward, 0-18 mph reverse; 0-51 km/h hi forward, 0-24 km/h lo forward, 0-29 km/h reverse|
|Front||Fully independent dual A-Arm with adjustable coils; 7.9 inches (200.7 mm) of travel|
|Rear||Fully independent dual A-Arm with adjustable coils and sway bar; 9.1 inches (231.14 mm) of travel|
|Type||Front/rear hydraulic disc with twin piston front calipers|
|Park brake||Driveline, internal wet multi-disc, foot operated (hand release)|
|TIRES / WHEELS|
|Front||26x9-12 Ancla M-T (Aggressive Terrain) or 25x9-12 Terrahawk AT (All Terrain) or 27x9-R14 Maxxis Big Horn Radials (Extreme Terrain)|
|Rear||26x11-12 Ancla M-T (aggressive terrain) or 25x11-12 Terrahawk AT (all terrain) or 27x11-R14 Maxxis Big Horn Radials (Extreme Terrain)|
|DIMENSIONS / CAPACITIES|
|Wheelbase||84.5 in. (2146 mm)|
|Dry weight||2202 lb (1001 kg)|
|Length||127 in. (3228 mm)|
|Width||69.4 in. (1763 mm)|
|Height||78.25 in. (1987 mm)|
|Tread centers||Front: 52.8 in. (1341 mm); Rear: 49.6 in. (1259 mm)|
|Ground clearance||11.2 in. (284 mm)|
|Fuel capacity||11.2 U.S. gal. (42.4 L)|
|Cargo box dimensions||1143 x 304.8 x 1320 mm (45 x 12 x 52 in.)|
|Cargo box capacity (weight)||454 kg (1000 lb)|
|Payload capacity||1500 lb (680 kg)|
|Towing capacity||2000 lb (907 kg)|
|Hitch||Standard 2-in. receiver|
|Color||Green/Yellow, Camouflage, Olive and Black (Limited at Launch)|
|Battery / Alternator / Power port||480 CCA 85 amp @ 7000 rpm, 1020 watts|
|Instrumentation||Digital Display (system diagnostic light, speed, rpm, 4WD indicator, fuel level, coolant temperature, hour meter, miles, park brake light, glow plug indicator)|
|Storage||4 Cup Holders (2 additional for cab units), in dash, Under Seat (56.69 L), Glovebox (3.85 L), Optional Under Hood|
|Seating||Bench (Available Bucket Seats)|
|Headlights||Halogen - Single Beam|
|Country of Manufacture||U.S.|