Great performance and long life with a smooth and powerful V-twin engine
Engine, left rear view
Engine, right rear view
A V-twin engine with 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) displacement provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Engine model M44
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron sleeves for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Spin-on oil filter with pressure lubrication for keeping the oil cleaner for long engine life and extended time between oil changes; pressure lubrication is also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- Easy access to the no-tools oil drain valve for oil changes
- Rear engine guard for protecting the engine and providing additional strength and integrity
Engine oil check/fill tube and oil-drain tube
Replaceable fuel filter and oil filter
Replaceable fuel filter and oil filter are easy to access and change to minimize service time and cost.
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz [237 mL]) for more information
Get a clean cut with the flat-top design of the 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep™ (48A) Mower Deck
ZTrak™ Z355E with 48A Mower Deck
The 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds or in tall grass:
- 4.83-in. (12.3-cm) deep throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing and mulching performance
- Optional MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help reduce scalping
- 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) cut-height increments allow the mower to be set at the desired cut height
Excellent cut quality
48A Mower Deck top (similar mower from X700 Series Tractor shown)
48A Mower Deck underside (similar mower from X700 Series Tractor shown)
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of re-cutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal re-cutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
Productivity - getting the job done fast
Right side of Accel Deep 48A Mower Deck
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass
Cleanliness - for the mower and the operator
Accel Deep 48A Mower Deck
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep Mower Deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and MulchControl makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
Mower wash port
Mower wash port with hose connector
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Superior durability is designed in
Mower wheels are double captured
The 48A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Stamped from strong 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.4-mm) steel
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 48A has a 23 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 48-in. (122-cm) Mower Deck used on previous machines.
Mower wheels are double captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
The 48A Mower Deck features a 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side bumper that provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
Versatility - easy to change between side discharge and mulch modes
The 48A Mower Deck is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With MulchControl, changing from side discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
The MulchControl system for the 48A Mower Deck is an optional field-installed attachment and makes mulching practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
How MulchControl works
MulchControl baffle open (similar mower from X500 Series Tractor shown)
MulchControl baffle closed (similar mower from X500 Series Tractor shown)
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl baffle, or divider, between the left and middle spindles is about halfway down. The height is designed to balance the mulching and side-discharge modes.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, the divider between the left and middle spindles passes a portion of the material to the discharge opening, along with the material from the middle and right spindle areas.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, the material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
- The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side discharge when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl still mulches about one-third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
NOTE: A rear bagger is not available for ZTrak Z355E, Z355R, Z365R, or Z375R.
Comfortable ride delivered by operator station with adjustable controls and seat position
Operator station (Z375R shown)
Color-coded controls are easy to identify
Low fuel warning light illuminated
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience when operating all controls:
Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
Controls are color coded for easy identification.
Low-fuel warning light is easily visible in daylight.
Twin-lever controls adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
A shock absorber dampens motion control lever movement to give smooth operation.
Comfortable seat (Z345R shown)
Comfortable seats make the operator experience more pleasant. Armrests included on the Z345R, Z355R, and Z375R seat can be flipped up out of the way, if desired:
Seat suspension springs
Making seat fore-aft adjustment (Z335E pictured) the Z375R has a seat slide lever
Two steel coil suspension springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride.
The seat has a 2.5-in. (6.35-cm) fore-aft adjustment. The cut-height pin/socket can be used to loosen the bolts in order to make seat adjustments.
Cup holder and storage compartments
The cup holder is designed to hold two common cup sizes securely.
Storage compartment with cover located under seat
Open storage on left side of vehicle
Open storage on left side of vehicle
Covered storage under the seat and open storage along the left side of the vehicle provide safe and secure places for the operator to keep safety equipment, a cell phone, etc.
Operator foot platform
Comfortable operator's platform
Large foot platform helps the operator remain comfortable and secure:
- Volcano grips give a secure grip.
- Raised footrests at the front of the platform provide a comfortable area for the operator's feet.
Convenient machine service includes bumper-to-bumper warranty
Service interval decal (Z300 Series shown)
A convenient service interval decal provides basic maintenance information. It provides a quick reference for keeping recommended service up to date.
Quick response (QR) codes link to owner information web pages
Example product identification number (PIN) label with QR code
John Deere riding lawn mowers are supported by owner information web pages that include links to:
- Safety and how-to videos
- Operator’s manuals
- Parts catalog
- Maintenance reminder sheets
- Warranty statements
To To speed access to owner information web pages, a QR code is printed onto a PIN label located under the seat on the battery cover. Since each vehicle model has its own web page, the links are specific to the owner’s model. The QR code also includes the vehicle’s unique PIN which allows for additional customization of the owner information web page in the future.
Mower deck access
Footrest easily removed for access to mower (Z335E shown)
Footrest removal bolt and hand grip (Z335E shown)
The footrest area is hinged and easily raised for service to mower deck:
Loosening bolt to remove platform for access to mower deck
Footrest opens for access to mower deck
Z335E engine oil and fuel filters shown
The engines are easy to service, including changing the oil and the oil filter and servicing the air filter.
Replaceable fuel filter and oil filter (Z365R shown)
The Z365R engine has the John Deere Easy Change™ 30-second oil change system.
Accel Deep Mower Deck
Accel Deep™ Mower Decks have several features that make them easy to service:
- Flat-top design minimizes places for debris to collect.
- Spring-loaded, flip-up belt guards make removing debris easy.
- Provision is provided for a standard, 3/8-in. (9.5-mm) ratchet wrench to be used for releasing belt tension when removing the drive belt.
Tie-down locations are provided for convenience and safety when trailering the machine.
Easy-to-find-and-use instruments and controls
Operator using motion-control levers
Adjustable motion-control levers
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to two height settings and nine fore-aft settings for a total of 18 different positions:
Shock absorber for motion-control levers
Cut-height pin doubles as tracking adjustment tool
A standard shock absorber for the motion-control levers makes maneuvering ZTrak™ Mowers easy and comfortable:
On-board tracking adjustment from the operator seat is quick and easy. The cut-height pin includes a 13-mm wrench and doubles as a convenient tool for adjusting tracking and the motion-control lever position.
Control panel (Z335E shown)
Low fuel warning light illuminated
The operator control panel is conveniently located and easy to use. The following instruments and controls are included:
- Hour meter
- Low fuel warning light
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control
- Engine speed/choke control
- A choke position is built into the engine speed control.
The park brake is conveniently located:
- Large lever is easy to use.
- Lever is color-coded for easy identification.
- Park brake effectively holds the machine in the parked position.
- Park brake must be engaged (in the upper position) to start the engine.
- Once the engine is started, the park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers.
Mower deck lift/cut-height adjustment
Mower deck lift/cut-height adjustment in place
- Mower deck cutting height adjusts from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for excellent cut quality and performance.
- Mower deck adjustment has built-in memory so the operator can easily return to the desired cutting height after raising the deck.
Foot pedal on Z375R
Foot pedal on Z345R
The Z345R, Z355R, Z365R, and Z375R include a foot-lift pedal along with the hand-lift lever to make raising the mower deck easier. The foot-lift pedal also provides a convenient way to temporarily raise the mower deck over an obstruction while mowing.
Heavy-duty PTO clutch
The PTO clutch is designed to operate through many on/off cycles.
CAUTION: Children or bystanders may be injured by rotating blades. Before traveling forward or rearward:
- Carefully check the area around the machine.
- Disengage the mower before backing up.
NOTE: Operating the mower while backing up is strongly discouraged.
Switch senses if hopper is installed
A switch senses if the hopper is installed. If the hopper is not installed and the PTO switch is actuated, the PTO will not operate.
A brake interlock switch is provided so the tractor will not start unless the brake is depressed or the parking brake set.
A tractor seat switch will turn off the PTO if the operator leaves the tractor seat; it will also shut-down the engine if the park brake is not set and the operator leaves the seat.
Either the operator needs to be in the seat or the hopper or deflector needs to be installed for the engine to run.
Steering is easy with large diameter front caster wheels
Motion-control levers shown on Z335E
Shock absorber dampens movement of control levers
Motion-control levers are designed for comfortable and easy operation.
A shock absorber is included to dampen the movement of the control levers so any operator can make smooth, controlled turns.
Front caster wheel (Z335E)
Front caster wheel (Z365R)
Pneumatic caster wheels give a smoother ride and easier steering:
- Large diameter front caster wheels provide extra ride comfort and better steering control.
- Caster wheels have sealed bearings for long life and easy steering.
- Tires are sized for the size and weight of the vehicle.
||Caster wheel tire size
|Z335E, Z345M, Z345R
|Z355E, Z355R, Z365R, Z375R
Controls are designed to promote safe operation
Park brake (Z365R shown)
Motion-control levers (Z365R shown)
- Park brake must be engaged for the engine to crank.
- Motion-control levers must be in the outward position for the engine to crank.
- Premium control levers on the Z345R, Z355R, Z365R, and Z375R are painted green and have a unique shape and size for more comfortable operation.
- Park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers or the engine will stall.
Interlock switch is located under the seat (Z365R shown)
- Seat interlock switch disengages the mower when the operator leaves the seat.
- Engine will stall if the operator leaves the seat without the motion-control levers in the outward position and the park brake set.
Great appearance, reliability, and performance delivered by a heavy-duty design
ZTrak™ Z335E shown
ZTrak Mowers are designed around a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame for strength and reliability.
Large front caster wheels and large rear drive wheels provide several operator benefits:
The operator platform is roomy and uncluttered for maximum comfort, and the controls are convenient to use:
- Easy to get on and off the mower
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable motion-control levers for height and position, enabling the operator to stay comfortable while using them
- Color-coded and logically placed controls
Styling is both functional and attractive
The styling of ZTrak Mowers is functional and attractive to appeal to residential owners who value product appearance and the easy, comfortable operation that comes with thoughtful control designs:
Heavy-duty welded steel frame for reliability and long life
Heavy-duty frame tubing
ZTrak mower frame
The ZTrak frame includes 1- x 1.5-in. (2.5- x 3.8-cm) steel tubing for long-term durability:
Loosening bolt to remove platform for access to mower deck
Footrest opens for access to mower deck
The footrest area is easily removed, utilizing the on-board tool, for access to the mower deck.
Efficiency and durability from dual transmissions with large, 1-in. (2.5-cm) diameter axles
Hydrostatic transmissions set low in vehicle
Dual transmissions efficiently power the ZTrak™ mower forward and reverse and give steering capability:
Hydro-Gear EZT transmission
Tow-valve control (left side shown)
Four-bolt hubs provide a reliable and convenient wheel-mounting system.
Tow-valve controls are provided for each transmission and located above the vehicle frame on either side of the engine:
- Easy to reach and use
- Allow the vehicle to be moved without the engine running
Hydro-Gear is a trademark of Hydro-Gear Limited Partnership AF Holding Company, a Delaware Corporation and Danfoss Power Solutions (US) Company, a Delaware Corporation.
Easy refueling with a conveniently located fuel tank
Help maintain your mower and lawn with the MowerPlus™ app and connector
MowerPlus home screen
MowerPlus maintenance screen
Keep a mower running its best and know how it mows with the John Deere MowerPlus app. Simply scan the mower’s barcode to get custom information about the mower.
- Engine hours, fuel level, and battery health (as compatible)
- Mowing history with time, distance, area, and speed
- Current day and five-day weather forecast based on location
- Walk-through setup guides
- Expert mowing tips
- Useful attachments for future purchase
- Periodic maintenance reminders
- Safety instructions
To download the free MowerPlus app, visit the Apple® App Store® or Google Play™ store.
MowerPlus connectors (sold separately)
MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector
MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector, with a phone
Three MowerPlus connectors are available to transmit vehicle information to the MowerPlus app.
BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2003 to 2020 100 Series Tractors, including all models with an E, D, LA, or L prefix
- Model year 2015 to 2020 S240 Tractors (serial number -880,000)
- S100, S110, S140, and S220 Tractors
BUC10929 MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector is for use with:
- All S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180 Tractors
- Model year 2021 and newer S240 Tractors (serial number 880,001-)
- Model year 2021 and newer Z515E, Z530M, Z530R, and Z545R (serial number 010,001-)
BUC10537 MowerPlus Smart Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2016 and newer Select Series X300 and X500 Tractors
All the MowerPlus connectors transmit engine hour information to the app, making it easy to track maintenance intervals. The MowerPlus Smart Connector and MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector also transmit the fuel level.
MowerPlus connectors require the MowerPlus app on a mobile device to use. The John Deere MowerPlus app and operating system requirements can be found in the mobile device’s app store. The MowerPlus app is only available in the English language, and it is not available in all countries. BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector requires iOS® version 10 or higher and is not compatible with Android™ operating systems.
Apple and App Store are trademarks of Apple, Inc. Google Play and Android are trademarks of Google LLC. iOS is a trademark of Cisco Technology, Inc. used under license by Apple Inc.